Areas of Interest:
- Innovation Engineering – Innovation Engineering is a practical guide to creating anything new – whether in large firms, research labs, new ventures, or even innovative student projects. See innovation-engineering.net
- Data, AI, and System Architecture – See Data-X at data-x.blog
- JC-X: Developing an AI based solution for a placement agency to target the best candidates for any position.
- AIP-X: Helping a firm develop and scale semi-automated call center application that can literally “sell” to customers that don’t know they are talking to a machine.
- MP-X: Helping a major mall retailer develop technology strategy and organization to avoid disruption form Amazon.
- BM-X: Providing guidance to universities developing new, applied, experiential technical curriculum with business and innovation context.
- 5G-X: Guiding telecom operators with AI and Data projects to deliver value from 5G rollouts.
- Tech-Transform-X: Transferring of university technology to a new venture or innovative firm.
- HM-X: Helping a major government tax service to use AI and data as part of the fraud detection capabilities of the agency.
- Berkeley Innovation Index A data-analytic approach to measuring innovation mindset and innovation culture inside companies.
- See over 100 Data-X Projects here
Sample Topics for Talks and Seminars:
- Engineering Innovation Workshop
- Data, AI and Systems for Business: What’s Next
- How to Enable Innovation and Entrepreneurial Culture in Large Organizations
- Innovation Tactics, Process, and Execution
- Data, AI, and Blockchain for Telecom and 5G Rollout
- How we teach Berkeley students to create Innovation and Ventures (BMoE)
On a day-to-day basis, I work with people at..
- Innovative Firms: Engineering leaders at Apple, Google, Samsung, Cisco, Applied Materials, Lam Research, Yahoo, Network Appliances, GM, Bosch, Qualcomm, PayPal, Broadcom, VMware, and many other leading firms.
- Organizations, Universities, and Governments: Includes Chile Engineering 2030, Onset Ventures, a leading Silicon Valley investment firm, Hong Kong (HKBU), the Government of New Zealand, the Lawrence Hall of Science, and the Jacobs Institute for Design at UC Berkeley.
- New Ventures: Undergraduate, Ph.D. students, and faculty colleagues at UC Berkeley and the global partner institutions of the College of Engineering.
A framework and technical course at UC Berkeley that teaches students to use foundational mathematical concepts and current computer science tools to create data-related applications and systems for real-world problems.
This program is the management track for Silicon Valley. The program builds upon the core technical skills of managers, engineers, and scientists; and provides breadth, strategy, market focus, operations, and communication skills for engineering leaders to be able to take larger roles within innovative companies.
Applied Innovation Institute:
I am a fellow of the Applied Innovation Institute in Singapore.
About Me: Ikhlaq Sidhu, UC Berkeley
- Chief Scientist and Faculty Director, UC Berkeley Sutardja Center (founding)
- IEOR Professor at UC Berkeley
- Developed Data-X, A framework for rapid impact with Data, ML, and Systems
- Co-creator, Berkeley Method of Entrepreneurship to develop innovation mindsets and behaviors.
- Created many UC Berkeley programs
- Invented seminal Internet communication technologies used at Skype, HP, US Robotics, IBM, and licensed to many others. HP – Laser Printer Design
- Granted 75 US Patents
- IEEE Major Innovation Award, 2018
- UC Berkeley IEOR Emerging Area Professor Award, 2009
- 3Com “Inventor of the Year” 1999
- Venture Advisor at Onset Ventures, X-Fund
- Advisor to many firms, executives, advisory boards, and non-profits
- All degrees: Electrical Engineering, BS to Ph.D.